Welcome to Outside Oslo, a Scandinavian food blog by Daytona Strong.
When it comes to my Norwegian heritage, I am all about the food. From lefse lessons with Grandma Adeline to trying to recreate the lost recipes of my late grandmother Agny, Outside Oslo is a place where I can share my culinary adventures and my quest to learn more about where I come from. A first-generation Norwegian-American on my dad’s side—and a few more generations removed on my mother’s—I am Norwegian through and through and I love sharing my experiences with you here.
The side of me that you’ll see here is the personal one. In addition to the writing I do at Outside Oslo, I am a food writer and parenting journalist who has worked in or written for virtually all forms of media. With over a decade of professional experience, I spent years as a television news writer and producer, and now write about food and parenting for a variety of local and national print publications. I’ve appeared on radio and have written for a variety of websites, from respected news and travel sites to my own blogs.
I live in the Scandinavian-rich city of Seattle and come from a family of great cooks. In addition to the Scandinavian classics, you’ll find me cooking a lot of new and modern dishes incorporating Nordic ingredients, some of them my own recipes original to Outside Oslo. I hope you enjoy your visit. If so, drop a note—I’d love to hear from you.
At a glance
Some of my favorite posts:
- Midsummer Picnic in the Meadow (and Thoughts on the Writing Life)
- Bergen Fish Soup (Bergensk fiskesuppe)
- A Cake from Gourmet, May 1956
- Family Classics: Norwegian Waffles
- Welcoming Spring with Norwegian Rhubarb Fromage
- Apple Pie of Generations
- A Word about Hospitality (and a Gluten-Free Cake)
Examples of my recipe development:
- Composed Salad of Smoked Salmon, Cucumber, Mâche, Egg, and Asparagus (Norwegian American Weekly)
- My Original Lingonberry Recipes in Our Amazing Norway
- Golden Beet, Geitost, and Watercress Salad (Norwegian American Weekly)
- Green Beans and Mushrooms with Dill Vinaigrette (Outside Oslo)
- Goat Cheese with Mushrooms, Pickled Asparagus, and Crispbread (Outside Oslo)
- Raw Kale Salad with Almonds, Lemon, and Nordic Cheese, (Norwegian American Weekly)
- Orange-Cardamom Caramels (Norwegian American Weekly)
- Scandinavian Autumn Fruit Soup (Pregnancy & Newborn Magazine)
Examples of my freelance writing:
- Creating the Family Cookbook (Costco Connection)
- Outdoor Play Ideas for Children (ParentMap)
- Craving Conspiracy (Pregnancy & Newborn Magazine)